k) Bodywork 2

It’s been a while since I posted an update:  The bottom side of the carcas is completed.  New Rockers, All rust removed and properly sealed and over-coated.

Underside Complete

You can see the snow on the ground, it was a terrible winter with a lot of snow.  First thing in the spring I asked my son to bring over 3 of his buddies to help right the carcas and properly set it onto the frame.

Carcas remounted

The next steps will be to properly strip the interior (Passenger Compartment, Trunk and Engine Bay).  This was done with a wire cup wheel to do the stripping then the surfaces were sprayed with a rust converter.  After the rust converter was allowed to properly set-up, I top coated the entire interior with a rust encapsulating paint (two coats).  I then seam sealed all of the interior seams.

The next step will be to properly bolt the body back onto the frame.

I purchased the bolt kit from Victoria British.  It came with everything I thought I needed (except for the metal shim plates that I misplaced).  No worries, I made up some from scraps of aluminum that I had in the garage.  I spent most of the morning aligning and bolting the body to the frame.

Interior Shot

After tightening it all down I moved onto some bodywork.  I worked on the A & B pillars as they meet the rockers.

January – 2012

The weather has been unseasonably warm which has allowed me to continue with the bodywork.

I can now continue straightening all of the panels (Wings, Bonnet, Boot).  The rear wings were in perfect condition.  I removed the undercoating and replaced it with POR-15 and a top-coat of Rhino-Liner.  I then proceeded to fit the panels.  In between the mounting flange of the wing and the chassy you need to apply a non-hardening seam sealer.  The British restoration books say to use a product called “Dumb-Dumb” but I could not find it here in the states.  I used a product from 3M called “Strip Calk.  This stuff can also be used to fill any wire or pipe penetrations thru the chassy.

  3M Strip Calk

Rear Wing Mounted

Next I temporarily mounted the wings and set the bonnet in-place so that I could begin flattening the panels.  Note, prior to working any of the exterior panels the undercoating was stripped and re-coated with POR-15 and Rhino Liner.

The panels were not real bad (no rust or rot) however I did need to address the rather large impact that was left over from the garage falling onto the Bonnet & LR Wing.  It will consume most of the efforts put into the bodywork.

Impact Repair

I did manage to remove about 90% of the damage with a body hammer & dolly however I did need to use body filler to get the panels flat.

Here are some progression pictures

The panels will still need a bit of fine tuning but that can be performed during the final overall sand.

The Front and Rear Valences needed some attention as well.  These are areas of the vehicle that bear most of the day-to-day road damage (Dents & Dings)

The rear valence ended up being a bit more work than I had planned.  I noticed a few pin-holes of rust and as I continued to poke at them I realized that the welding portion of the restoration was not over.  I ended up replacing about 50% of the rear valence with new metal.  Now that the new metal is in-place I can continue to make the panels flat.

You will begin to notice that the Pimmento Red is slowly disapearing.  This is not an accident.  I will be changing the color of the car to British Racing Green so any remnant of the old color will be eliminated.

Rear Valance Properly RepairedRear Valance Properly Repaired

I am winding down on all of the bodywork (finally).  I am just checking the body over for miner flaws.  I have sanded the entire body with 120 Grit (dry) paper and sprayed a coat of etching primer over all of the surfaces.

Battle Ship Gray……at least it’s finally all one color.

I still have a few minor blemishes to tidy up.  The doors are in my basement where I have been rebuilding the internal mechanisms.  I will need to fit them soon.

I’ll call this the end of the Bodywork Section.

Please Head over to Paint Preparation and Paint.

Published on March 19, 2011 at 11:24 am  Leave a Comment  

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: